Slow cooker chicken noodle soup is just one of those recipes you need in you back pocket for busy nights. This version is hearty and can be made stovetop in under 30 minutes if you’d rather, or set it and forget it for later.
Most people look forward to their weekends. They see them as a time to do whatever they want, and enjoy life…I don’t. Those two days are the hardest of my whole entire week. Why? Because my family’s home, love their hearts and apparently no one in this house can do anything for themselves.
Example, last week when I made this soup I did it on Saturday for one reason: my family exhausts me and a slow cooker is one of the few ways I make it through intact. And last Saturday, I was trying to help my daughter write a speech for school and my son is standing right beside me saying “Can I type? Can I type?” and cue the husband who comes in, “Honey, how do I get on a radio station on the internet? I need to know right now because I’m missing something.”
He’s an engineer and he can barely turn on the DVD player. Everyone wants something from me and it doesn’t stop until they leave on Monday morning.
I need this slow cooker.
Filling the cooker and hitting start gives me inner peace (cue your best Kung Fu Panda impression) because at 6 a.m. on Saturday mornings my husband, who has been up since 4 sends my kindergartener in to ask me to make homemade biscuits. And sausage. And fried eggs, grits and whatever else he wants. I don’t have a dishwasher and this usually starts the first of 8-9 sinks of dishes I’ll wash in one day. Do I make a case for the slow cooker yet?
This chicken noodle soup is true to my style–it’s basic. You could swap in wild rice if you wanted to, add other root vegetables you like, dress it up with some hot sauce or even a small drop dumpling or two. It would work. Remember to skim the fat off a bit after you take the chicken out and if you want to freeze any of it for later (I always do) ladle out that portion BEFORE you add the egg noodles to the remaining soup (and add less noodles than the recipe calls for, of course). Frozen gooshy egg noodles are not nice. Take my word for it and leave them out until you need that next batch.
Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
- 8 cups water
- 4 carrots peeled and sliced into ¼" pieces
- 4 celery stalks sliced in to ¼" pieces
- 1 small onion chopped about the size of the carrots or celery
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme or 1 teaspoon fresh
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 whole chicken about 3 pounds
- 3 cups egg noodles uncooked
- In the crock of your slow cooker, add the water, carrots, celery, onion, bay leaves, thyme, salt and pepper and stir well.
- Add in the whole chicken and cover with the lid.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours. Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and peel away the skin and shred the meat. Return the chicken to the slow cooker.
- Add the noodles, put the lid back on and cook until they soften--about 20 minutes more.