Easy enough to make on a weeknight and just right for bringing the kids in to cook with you, this oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe is just the kind of treat families bond over.
My friends and family pick on me a lot because of my lack of interest in actually eating dessert. Sure I’ll bake it all day, but when it comes time to actually indulge I’m just not that into it.
Growing up on the farm my mom was kind of sugar-conscious I guess you could say. We had ice cream and treats occasionally, but constant snacking on sweet junk just wasn’t part of our lives and it still isn’t today.
Give my brother and I the option between a Snickers or an apple and I can guarantee you what we will choose.
I’m constantly amazed at the way people eat dessert in this area of the country. First, you get a WHOLE plate of food. Then you come back for a second segmented Styrofoam plate and fill that WHOLE plate with desserts of all kinds. It’s insane, and a practice I just can’t get into.
But that doesn’t mean sweet things aren’t great–or a great big part of our lives. Today I was mixing these cookies for my daughter’s class and I got sad. Should cookie dough make you sad? Probably not. But it reminded me of home and my mom making these. I just love it when food can take you back to a good memory.
This oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe is a great staple because they don’t go flat thanks to the body added by the oatmeal, and they have this rich chewy flavor…it really is good ya’ll. Today I gave one to the propane delivery man when he filled our tank–it was still warm from the oven and I watched him sit in my driveway licking his fingers like a little kid. I giggled. Your family will love them just as much.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 6 ounce bag chocolate chips
- 1 cup nuts of your choice optional
- Preheat the oven to 375. Place your oven racks in the top and bottom 1/3 of the oven.
- In a large bowl mix the eggs, butter, shortening and sugars with a spoon until well blended.
- Add flour, oats, chocolate chips and nuts if using and stir well.
- Drop by teaspoons on to a lightly greased cookie sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart.
- Bake 12-14 minutes until the edges are golden brown, rotating the pans from top rack to the lower rack halfway through the baking time.