Hearty food that warms you from your toes up? This cozy chicken and biscuit casserole is just the way to get that done. One pan and frozen biscuits make this typically slow-cooked classic make-ahead easy even on a weeknight. Add in your family’s favorite blend of vegetables and savor a hearty bowl together.
Wouldn’t it be nice to put a hearty bowl of something warm and comforting on the table for your family? To watch them eat it, and (all praise to the heavens) ask for more. You’d be like “BOOM! I did that!”
And you can.
True to what I strive to give you–this cozy chicken and biscuit casserole drives home versatility by allowing you to swap in your favorite vegetables like broccoli or peas, change the chicken for leftover holiday turkey you’ve got in the fridge and uses frozen biscuits so you don’t have to get all Betty-Crocker on a Wednesday night. If you want to make your own biscuits though, you can have my recipe.
This meal is just, spot on. The biscuits soak up some of the yummy creamy chicken broth and makes everything soft. It just screams warm blanket and a Netflix binge.
I know that this isn’t the shortest recipe list ever, but it’s just so worth it. And like I always say, buy fresh herbs in your produce department. They cost less than $2 and make such a difference in the way your final product will taste. And one final recommendation? If you don’t have an enameled cast iron dutch oven, now is the time to get one. Here’s the one I love–I know it’s a little of an investment but it’s something you can use again and again. You won’t be sorry you have it.
Cozy chicken and biscuit casserole
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup carrots peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch thick circles
- 1 medium white onion chopped
- 2 6 ounce packages baby portobello mushrooms wiped, stems removed and cut to quarters
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine you can use extra chicken broth if you don't want to use the wine
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 8 cups cooked chicken shredded or in cubes
- 8 small frozen biscuits or 6 large frozen biscuits like Pillsbury Grands still frozen
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In an oven proof deep pan with a lid (like a cast iron dutch oven), melt the butter and add the carrots and onion and cook 5 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook 5 minutes more.
- Add the garlic and cook about 30 seconds.
- Add the wine and cook 1 minute.
- Add the flour and stir to cook out the raw flour flavor, about 1 minute.
- Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Cook until the sauce thickens and coats the back of a spoon--about 6 or 7 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the cream, vinegar, rosemary, parsley, salt and pepper and the chicken and stir well.
- Top with the biscuits and cover slightly with your dutch oven lid.
- Bake 30-35 minutes until the biscuits are cooked through. You can remove the lid for the last 5 or 6 minutes of baking if you wish to help the biscuits brown.