Sliced baked apples with brown sugar
Sliced baked apples are a truly simple and delicious dessert or addition to drizzle over ice cream, on shortcake or to just snack on with less guilt. Make a big batch and feel good about enjoying a sweet treat.Jump to Recipe
By this point I’m pretty sure you can’t do anything wrong with apples and cinnamon. Unless you’ve taken a look inside one of those dyed cans of apple pie filling from the grocery store and asked yourself what you’re actually eating.
You know what I mean– and this recipe just hits all the points of comforting, homemade flavors with virtually no work and no can of goo to dig in too.
Celebrate using any sweetener you choose, or reduce the sugar as low as you choose. You really can’t ruin these sliced baked apples.
What apple is best for sliced baked apples?
Granny Smith–the firm green ones–are my favorite for baking because they hold their shape and don’t release tons of liquid during cooking. You can’t go wrong with HoneyCrisp, Jonagold, Winesap or even Pink Lady apples too.
Macintosh is one to avoid unless you want to bake apples that are very soft. Their texture breaks down quickly and you’ll have applesauce.
Can I use old apple slices?
Baking is a great way to transform older, slightly dried apples into something delicious so feel free to use whatever you have on hand!
How to make sliced baked apples for diabetics or lower sugar
I don’t support the use of Splenda because of its damage to the gut, but this is one great recipe for using whatever calorie free sweetener you enjoy. Some other options you might like include:
- Monkfruit (straight or with erythritol)
These sweeteners are also good to use but will raise your blood sugar:
- Maple Sugar
- Maple syrup
I’d even argue that you could skip the sweetener entirely if you had a sweet apple. Baking condenses and concentrates the apple’s natural sugars so they are always sweeter when they come out than before they were baked.
Can these be baked in an air fryer?
Yes! Just cook them until they are hot, bubbling and cooked to your desired level of tenderness.
How to bake apple slices step by step
Topping ideas for sliced baked apples
My favorite way is with some homemade vanilla ice cream but you can try these ideas too:
- A bit of sweetened or plain heavy cream drizzled over
- Homemade whipped cream
- Homemade granola
- Oatmeal crumble
Baked Apple Slices
- Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly grease an 8×8 baking pan, or cast iron skillet and set aside.
- Peel, core and slice the apples in to 1/2" thick slices and add them to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl mix together the sugars, cinnamon and salt and stir to combine. Add to the apples and toss very well to coat all sides.
- Transfer the apples to the baking dish and dot with the butter.
- Bake 25 to 27 minutes until hot and bubbling. If you would like yours softer, bake an additional 8 to 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with ice cream or by themselves.
Is that light or dark brown sugar?
Either one is fine Shirley.