Three Cheese Stovetop Mac and Cheese
Three cheese stovetop mac and cheese is a real indulgence you can whip up quickly and enjoy by itself or with a simple salad. Thank goodness for a dish even picky eaters will enjoy!Jump to Recipe
I’ve had a new mac and cheese on my recipe plan for awhile. My baked macaroni and cheese is my most requested recipe and cooler weather is a great time to throw this super creamy three cheese stovetop mac and cheese version out there.
This one is just as tasty, but doesn’t require baking. Just whip up the cheese sauce and mix in cooked pasta. Easy as that.
What goes well with stovetop mac and cheese?
It’s best to balance the richness and starch of the pasta with lighter dishes, green vegetables or a hearty protein. Try:
- Fried chicken tenders
- Classic stuffed bell peppers
- Homemade meatloaf with brown sugar glaze
- Traditional seven layer salad
There’s even more macaroni and cheese to love! Make these next:
- Spicy baked macaroni and cheese
- Baked mac and cheese with tomatoes
- Fast microwave easy macaroni and cheese
- One pan homemade hamburger helper (hey–it’s almost mac and cheese!)
Creamy Three Cheese Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup 2% or whole milk
- 1/2 cup half and half or you can use more whole or 2% milk in its place
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Colby cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 ounces cream cheese cut into cubes, 1/4 of a block
- Salt and pepper
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil for the pasta.
- Add in the pasta and cook until al dente–check your box for the right time, usually about 10-12 minutes. Don’t overcook it. Set aside and start the sauce.
- In a separate medium saucepan or skillet, melt the butter and add the flour. Cook on medium heat one minute until the flour browns just slightly.
- Add the milk and half and half (if using), and a dash of salt and pepper.
- Cook until thickened and starting to bubble; about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the mustard and stir to combine followed by the cheddar and Colby cheeses.
- Stir until the cheese melts.
- Add the pasta, and toss.
- Add in the cream cheese and stir until the cubes melt and the sauce is completely smooth.
- Serve hot.
It was good! It is very thick like others have said, so I just had to add more milk a couple times to thin it out before we were ready to eat. I would probably skip the half & half next time and do straight whole milk. I would make it again when I want some homemade but quick mac n cheese.
Just made this and it is Awesome! I did save a lil pasta water and added about 2Tbs at the end to thin just a tiny bit, also added my addiction (tobasco sauce) to my serving. SOOOOOOOOOO much better than a box. Make sure your ingredients are prepared before you start, it cooks up quickly!! 🙂
it is very good, but needs more cheese.
Oh Claire, are you sure? It’s got an awful lot in it already! What would you add? –Rachel
I wonder if I could use the the sauce for a base for Broccoli and Rice bake. Maybe a little onion or shallots and garlic sauted with the butter first?
I’m sure you could! It’s very versatile. Try it and let me know how it turns out Marie! –Rachel
Yuk! Please REMOVE the CREAM CHEESE from this recipe! Please! And, it was way too THICK!
It’s too rich for me too but some people really, really like it. I think it gives them that Velveeta vibe. –Rachel
@Rachel Ballard, I’m living in Australia now and velveeta isn’t here. So, honestly this comment makes me happy because my mum made such good mac and cheese with that when I was little ?
I made this recipe for Thanksgiving which happened to also be my husband’s Birthday. It was a huge success. We all loved it. I added bacon. I made it earlier in the day and then baked it to reheat. Delicious!!
It was very cheesy for my taste buds. It’s not the best but it was good. I followed the recipe the way it was written .
Our family and friends love this stove top Mac and cheese!! We have made it many times. Thank you so much for sharing!!
Thank you for making it Summer! I’m so glad you enjoy it. –Rachel
I doubled the recipe and added broccoli to the noodles while boiling and it was a big hit! Thanks
That sounds wonderful Vanessa! Thank you for letting me know! –Rachel
We doubled the recipe, added 2 tbs of Frank’s Red Hot instead of Dijon. We also added 2 cups of quartered cherry tomatoes. We took this dish to our neighborhood block party. It was a big hit!!
Yay Jessica! I’m so glad you were able to share it with your friends. Sounds WONDERFUL with the cherry tomatoes in it. Have you seen my mac and cheese with tomatoes recipe? It’s one of my all time favorites! I hope you’ll enjoy it many more times to come. –Rachel