Three cheese stovetop mac and cheese is a real indulgence you can whip up quickly and enjoy by itself or with a simple salad. Thank goodness for a dish even picky eaters will enjoy!Jump to Recipe
I’ve had a new mac and cheese on my recipe plan for awhile. My baked macaroni and cheese is my most requested recipe and cooler weather is a great time to throw this super creamy three cheese stovetop mac and cheese version out there.
This one is just as tasty, but doesn’t require baking. Just whip up the cheese sauce and mix in cooked pasta. Easy as that.
What goes well with stovetop mac and cheese?
It’s best to balance the richness and starch of the pasta with lighter dishes, green vegetables or a hearty protein. Try:
- Fried chicken tenders
- Classic stuffed bell peppers
- Homemade meatloaf with brown sugar glaze
- Traditional seven layer salad
There’s even more macaroni and cheese to love! Make these next:
- Spicy baked macaroni and cheese
- Baked mac and cheese with tomatoes
- Fast microwave easy macaroni and cheese
- One pan homemade hamburger helper (hey–it’s almost mac and cheese!)
Creamy Three Cheese Stovetop Macaroni and Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups elbow macaroni
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 Tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup 2% or whole milk
- 1/2 cup half and half or you can use more whole or 2% milk in its place
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Colby cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 ounces cream cheese cut into cubes, 1/4 of a block
- Salt and pepper
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil for the pasta.
- Add in the pasta and cook until al dente–check your box for the right time, usually about 10-12 minutes. Don’t overcook it. Set aside and start the sauce.
- In a separate medium saucepan or skillet, melt the butter and add the flour. Cook on medium heat one minute until the flour browns just slightly.
- Add the milk and half and half (if using), and a dash of salt and pepper.
- Cook until thickened and starting to bubble; about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the mustard and stir to combine followed by the cheddar and Colby cheeses.
- Stir until the cheese melts.
- Add the pasta, and toss.
- Add in the cream cheese and stir until the cubes melt and the sauce is completely smooth.
- Serve hot.