It can be tricky making a meal that everyone will eat, but these baked chicken fajitas are a family-friendly option you can make in one pan and in under a half an hour.
I never have been much on Mexican food. I know, you thought I was nuts before. But in my defense, I love these fajitas for multiple reasons.
First, everyone in my family will eat it and not say “EWWW…” (my daughter) or my husband, as he pokes at it…”what’s in this honey?” And my other favorite point: you can make it in one casserole dish and just pop it in the oven. I add cheese and then dip mine in salsa or sour cream as I eat. They are just awesome.
And I only have one pan to wash when I’m done.
Did you know I don’t have a dishwasher? That’s why that’s important. I don’t even know how to load one. My mom never had one and I never knew their value and only found myself wishing for one when I sippy cups to sanitize when my kids were babies. I wash by hand…
I digress. Let’s eat some fajitas.
Your family will praise your fajita-y goodness. You will praise your nearly empty sink of dishes to be washed. Or if you’re smart, your nearly empty dishwasher. Be smarter than me, please.
Baked Chicken Fajitas
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts cut in to strips
- 1 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 large bell peppers seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 flour tortillas 10-inch size
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a baking dish mix the chicken, chiles, onion and pepper.
- In a small bowl mix the oil spices and salt and pour over chicken. Toss to coat.
- Bake uncovered 20-25 minutes until the veggies are a little soft and the chicken is cooked. You could also do this with thinly sliced flank or skirt steak as well.