One pan tuscan chicken is one of those wonders that leaves you saying “Wow that was good”. You’ll make it once, then you’ll make it every week. You’ll be just like me. Tuscan chicken obsessed.
Go ahead and dive in to this one pan tuscan chicken–a blend of tomatoes, beans, tender chicken and spices that everyone in my family actually eats. It’s a small miracle. This recipe comes from the amazing Wanderlust Kitchen–Annetta is all about recipes that reach far beyond my country and southern roots as she makes all kinds of delicacies from around the world. She’s an avid traveler (never mind I haven’t had a toenail on a plane since I was 11) and if you want to take a culinary trip to somewhere else, jump over and take a look at what she has going on.
Tips for the best one pan tuscan chicken
- Use fire roasted canned tomatoes if you can get them. They have a little extra flavor you can’t get in the regular ones. And yes, of course, feel free to use your own home canned tomatoes if you have those.
- Fresh herbs–no surprise there. I love oregano, parsley and thyme in this one pan tuscan chicken but if I don’t have them on hand, a tablespoon of dried Italian seasoning has gotten me through in a pinch before.
- Get the sun dried tomatoes in oil. Not the ones that are dried in a bag like raisins. You’ll break your dentures trying to eat them.
- Serve this family pleaser with some crusty french bread. I like to toast mine with some olive oil and a little salt before serving.
One Pan Tuscan Chicken
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 pieces in to 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion or 1/2 of a medium finely diced
- 1 teaspoon salt and pepper divided
- 1 12 ounce package mushrooms stems removed and sliced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano
- 2 14-ounce cans fire roasted tomatoes with the juice
- 1 14-ounce cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup sun dried tomatoes roughly chopped in oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In a large skillet with deep sides (I like my big cast iron), heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat until starting to shimmer; add the chicken and brown the outside, turning once--about 3 minutes or so per side.
- Reduce heat to medium and transfer the chicken to a plate for a few minutes.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil and the mushrooms, stir until sautéed and slightly brown--about 5 minutes or so. Add 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/2 the pepper and stir well. Transfer to the plate with the chicken.
- In the skillet, add the onion and cook until softened and translucent--about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook one minute.
- Add the tomatoes, beans, sun dried tomatoes, herbs, sugar and remaining salt and pepper.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat and add the chicken and mushrooms back into the pan.
- Simmer on low to blend the flavors and cook the chicken through--about 20 minutes or so. Serve warm with crusty bread.