Vegetable beef soup should be hearty and just downright easy to do. This version is affordable with frozen vegetables and slow-cooked beef to fill you (or your crowd) up in no time flat.
This recipe was originally published in December 2014.
It’s easy to let the heavier cool weather meals weigh you down. Why do we use so much cream and butter and flour in the winter?
I’m not complaining, but there are times when you’d like to have a lighter but still filling soup you won’t need hours on the treadmill to burn off–and an easy to make vegetable beef soup filled with corn, carrots, peas and green beans plus a simmered hearty broth is a great way to do that.
Can I make this vegetable beef soup in my slow cooker?
Yep. You can. I’m not a huge slow cooker fan, but if you want to go that route, just brown your meat in a skillet with the onion and transfer to your slow cooker, add the remaining ingredients and cook on low for about 5 hours, or high for 2. The longer it sits, the better it tastes.
Can I double the ingredients in my vegetable beef soup?
Sure. If you want to double or triple that’s just fine. Or if you want to put in more meat than the recipe calls for and leave the rest of the ingredients the same you can do that too. My family likes a lot of meat in their vegetable beef soup so do what works for your crew. I will say though–don’t skip the cabbage if you can help it. It’s a must here.
Is your vegetable beef soup gluten free?
The ingredients are for the most part, yes. You just need to watch your beef broth. I like Better than Bouillon but there is gluten in their beef base. You’d be much better off to make yours from scratch and then you’d be totally safe!
How long is vegetable beef soup good for in the refrigerator?
Store your cooled soup (let it cool on the stove or counter for a while first) then transfer to a tightly sealed container and your soup will store for 4 or 5 days, no problem.
Enjoy this soup with my no yeast dinner rolls or if you have time, make a batch of the real deal yeast ones, or learn how to make cornbread that truly southern.
Vegetable Beef Soup
- 1 pound stew meat or chuck roast cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion chopped small (about 1/2 pieces or so)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cups water
- 1, 10- ounce bag frozen mixed vegetables (green beans corn, carrots, peas)
- 1 12 ounce can tomato juice or V8 juice
- 1 15 ounce can whole tomatoes with the juice
- 1 1/2 cup cups chopped cabbage about 1 inch pieces or so
- 1 large potato cut into 1- cubes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat a large pot over medium high heat.
- Add the olive oil and heat 1-2 minutes.
- Add the meat and onion and brown on all sides--about 5 minutes total.
- Cover with the water (add more if necessary to cover the meat totally) and simmer covered, on low about an hour until the meat is more tender.
- Add the remaining ingredients and cover.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes soften and the cabbage wilts.
- Serve immediately, or for the best flavor, allow the soup to sit for about an hour before eating if you can so the flavors can develop further.
- If you use your slow cooker, brown the meat in a skillet with the olive oil and onion. Add to your slow cooker along with the other ingredients and cook on high 2-3 hours or low for about 5 hours.