Homemade egg rolls give you the power to know exactly what’s in that tasty fried tube of Chinese goodness. Simple ingredients, big flavor. That’s what it’s all about around here.
How to make fantastic homemade egg rolls even if you’ve never done it before.
The first time I made these homemade egg rolls, they were good–well, they were good enough.
I thought they lacked a little somethin’-somethin’. Honestly, I think it was just more salt.
With a few adjustments, they’re awesome AND (this is my favorite part) you know what’s in them. If you are allergic to MSG and some of those mystery ingredients that could be in your favorite take out, give these a try. You can have them whipped up in 20 minutes or so.
You’ll find egg roll wrappers in the produce section of your grocery store. They will be square and are usually near the pre-shredded bags of cabbage, or by the herbs in the refrigerated area.
Of course, because they’re fried, don’t forget they really need to be eaten when they’re hot. Cold=gross. If you need to make a smaller batch to avoid leftovers, do that. A half batch would be just as easy. You can save any leftover wrappers for another use or make another batch of egg rolls later.
And if you want some fried rice to go along side, check out my quick version here.
How to reheat egg rolls
I have reheated mine in the oven on 350 for about 15 minutes. You can also use a toaster oven to warm them.
Can I bake these instead of frying?
I haven’t tested the recipe in the oven and suspect they would need a light coating of oil over the surface before baking to help them crisp up. I’d even suggest elevating them on a roasting rack to get air under them.
How to fold your egg rolls step by step
Step 1: Turn your egg roll wrapper in a diamond shape, one end pointing toward you. Place 2-3 tablespoons of cooked filling in the center.
Step 2: Fold up the bottom over the filling, tucking it snugly. Use a dab of water on your fingers to wet the edges of the unfolded corner.
Step 3: Fold in the sides.
Step 4: Roll up.
Watch me make these egg rolls in their full version on my YouTube Channel!
Homemade Egg Rolls
- 10 ounces shredded cabbage 3-4 loosely packed cups, a bag of pre-shredded cole slaw mix works here
- 1/2 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup finely diced green onions without the whites
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated ginger
- 1 clove fresh garlic
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash black pepper
- 2 Tablespoons soy sauce mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 1 package egg roll wrappers found the produce department
- oil for frying I prefer refined coconut oil
- Finely grate the ginger and garlic on a box grater. If you don’t have a box grater, just chop it as finely as you can.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and cook the ground pork until no pink remains, breaking any large chunks.Season with half the salt and a dash of pepper. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add another tablespoon of oil and heat over medium high.
- Add in the ginger and garlic. Cook 30 seconds then add the cabbage, carrots, and onions and toss well.
- Add the remaining salt and dash of pepper.
- Saute 5-7 minutes just until the vegetables soften slightly. Add the pork back in.
- Add the soy sauce and water mixture, tossing well.
- Cook until the liquid evaporates, just a minute or two more.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Once the filling is cool enough to handle, start forming your egg rolls.
- Using one wonton wrapper at a time, lay it in front of you in a diamond shape with a point toward you. Add about 3 tablespoons of filling to the center and roll up the point closest to you. Tuck in the sides as you continue to roll to the other point.
- Seal the open edge by rubbing water on the inside of the seam with your fingers.
- Bring 3 inches of oil to 375 degrees in a medium pot. Cook the egg rolls a few at a time, turning frequently until evenly golden–about 6-7 minutes each.
- Drain on paper towels. Serve hot with sweet and sour sauce, spicy mustard, or Duck sauce.
- Makes 14-16 egg rolls