You know what makes chicken and polenta with broccoli such a simple meal to make? We’re taking some serious help from the store today for a meal that you get to pile together in a bowl and devour in no time (literally, like 15 minutes). I know it looks fancy but that’s what happens when you are a professional trickster like I am.
See that juicy chicken? The cooked to perfection broccoli? The seasoned savory polenta? Would you believe me if I told you this took–oh–about 15 minutes to make? No lie! It did! When your family asks what’s for dinner and you rattle this off they’ll look at you and and “po-what?”
Po-lenta–AKA fancy grits.
AKA Italian cornmeal.
AKA we buy it in a roll at the store and heat it up.
AKA we wear our cheater pants.
You can find polenta in your pasta section of your grocery store in a roll like breakfast sausage or you can work harder and cook your own from scratch, but let’s not. It’s so simple to use–all you do is open it, plop it in a sauce pan with some chicken broth and parmesan cheese and break it up. Simmer it about 6 or 7 minutes till it’s smooth. Ouch that was painful.
You will use some steam-in-the-bag broccoli for extra help and sauté some thin chicken breasts for the all-in-one dinner of a lifetime. Chicken and polenta with broccoli is a great dish to serve to dinner guests, too. Plus it’s gluten free and Weight Watchers friendly! Yo ho ho.
Chicken and polenta with broccoli
- 2 in large boneless skinless chicken breasts sliced half through their thickness to make 4 thinner portions
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 18- ounce roll pre-made polenta
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 in bag steam--bag broccoli florets
- Start by cooking the chicken:
- Mix the Italian seasoning, salt, pepper and garlic powder together and sprinkle evenly over both sides of the chicken.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium high heat and add the butter and oil. When the butter has melted and the skillet is hot, add the chicken and sauté until golden brown--about 5-6 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil.
- Add the polenta to a medium saucepan, breaking it up with your fingers as you add it. It's okay if there are lumps, they will cook out.
- Add the chicken broth, salt, and red pepper flakes if you are using them and stir well.
- Bring to a simmer and mash out any lumps, stirring often until the polenta is smooth--about 6 minutes or so. Add the cheese and stir to combine. Turn off the heat and set aside.
- Steam the broccoli according the package directions, drain.
- Serve by laying 1/2 cup of polenta on a plate, add broccoli and top with sliced chicken. Serve warm.