You know it turns out a good pizza doesn’t have to be smothered in meat and heavy toppings. Want proof? Try this lighter eggplant pizza–filled with all kinds of garden goodness and see if you don’t change your mind.
Right now I’m sitting in my kitchen threatening my pressure canner. Well, I’m threatening the cheap jar flats I bought, and I’m hoping they seal. That’s what I get for buying something other than Ball lids. I canned a few quarts of potatoes today–if you’ve never done that, they taste great. I learned a few years ago when my husband went gardening nuts and planted 25 rows of potatoes. We had over 1,000 pounds that year. It was insane–just like my husband.
So, while I wait and pray that my morning’s hard work wasn’t wasted, let’s do eggplant pizzas. I love these things. Adapted from a Southern Living recipe I’ve been eating for years, this recipe is basically veggies, herbs and cheese. There’s no sauce, but you won’t miss it.
This eggplant pizza is best right out of the oven, and the recipe called for a Boboli crust. I remember when those came out in the 90’s (it wasn’t the 80’s was it?) and they were all the rage. I guess they still make them…if not, a homemade crust or a frozen pizza dough is best with this.
Make the crust kind of thin–the veggies are piled pretty high. You can do these as one large pizza too–it’s great either way and you’ll be more full than you think you will.
And oh wait–are those gun shots?! NO! My jars are sealing! Success!
Personal Eggplant Pizza Recipe
- 1 large eggplant peeled
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 onion
- 1 small zucchini
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large Boboli crust 3 personal crusts or any other crust you like
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese I like fresh mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Peel and dice the eggplant and the next four ingredients into about 1/2 pieces. In a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat. Add the vegetables and cook until tender but not mushy--about 10 minutes
- Sprinkle with spices, salt and pepper.
- Layer onto crust and cover with cheese. Bake until golden, about 12 minutes or so.
We love these!