Crispy buffalo chicken wings
Here’s a big shout out from the genius–that’s me–because guess who forgot to post these crispy buffalo chicken wings before the Super Bowl? Mmm hmmm…you know who did it.
I walked around here all last week with the worst blogger’s block I’ve ever had. Totally stumped, bumbling around trying to think of something and I had this awesome recipe right under my nose, already done, and I totally overlooked it.
Just call me Johnny on the Spot.
But all we can do is pick ourselves up, recognize my lack of mental fortitude and move forward. Pretend it’s yesterday.
My crew loves wings. I’ve been buying them frozen and just baking them up and adding sauce until now but I wanted to try my friend Nagi’s baked version (you can find it on Recipe Tin Eats, here) and they were fantastic! They are a little work, that’s true–but good things are worth it sometimes.
I bought my wings and hacked and whacked on them until I got them broken down–each into two pieces and I removed the tips of the wings so they wouldn’t burn. You’ll have to do the same when you buy yours so if you’re squeamish, that part may not be too awesome.
For the best results, make sure your chicken is very dry before you put them in the oven and elevate them up off the cookie sheet (see my instructions).
Once they bake, douse them in a little of your favorite buffalo sauce (for us that’s Frank’s) and you’re all done. And maybe…just maybe…you’ll actually make yours and share them with the people you care about on time. 😉
Crispy buffalo chicken wings
- 2 pounds of chicken wings (about 10-15 or so wings cut up)
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- a bottle of Frank's buffalo sauce
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees.
- While the oven heats, make sure you have your chicken wings cut up and remove the tips and discard or save them to make chicken broth with later.
- Dry the chicken parts really well with paper towels.
- Mix the baking powder and salt together in a big zip top bag.
- Toss the chicken in the mix and lay them skin side up on a foil-lined rimmed cookie sheet topped with a greased cooling rack so you can get the chicken up and air can circulate under it.
- Place them in the oven and bake on the lowest shelf for 30 minutes.
- Then raise the oven to 425 and move them to the top rack.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes more until they are crispy and golden brown.
- Toss them with the buffalo sauce when they come out of the oven. Serve warm.
Love this chicken wings, very tasty
Making them right now and it smells amazing even on half cooked stage right now. My husband loves Buffalo Chicken Wings, can’t wait for them to come out of the oven. Thanks for such an easy and brilliant recipe.
Thank you Daisy! You should also check out the other variations on this from my friend Nagi at https://recipetineats.com–she's the gal who invented the method! I hope you all really enjoyed them. –Rachel
I can’t tell you how many times I have made these now. My husband won’t eat any other wings after these. So crispy and moist! This recipe has blessed our household lol.
I’m so glad to hear that Gabrielle! If you want more versions, you should check out Recipe Tin Eats (recipetineats.com) she was the girl who this recipe was inspired by and she has a WHOLE BOOK of wings that will be equally as tasty as my version. Thank you for letting me know you enjoy them! –Rachel
I’ve made this recipe several times. They always come out crisp and perfect!
Wonderful Diana! I’m glad to hear that! Thanks for letting me know! 🙂 –Rachel
Just tried this recipe. Coating with baking powder is genius. They came out moist and crispy. Tossed in Frank’s hot sauce and a stick of butter. Best wings ever!
Thanks Christi! Best wings EVER?! That’s high praise. My only complaint with that recipe is how messy my oven gets. All the splattering chicken. :/ I just need to be better about cleaning my oven I guess. Hahahaha! I’m glad you enjoyed them. :)—Rachel
I LOVE that they are baked!