Easy Grilled Fish Tacos
Just the right balance of price, simplicity and flavor, these easy grilled fish tacos will be a family favorite for everyone!
Servings 4 people
For the Avocado Cream
- 2 large avocados or 3 small
- 1 large tomato seeded and diced small
- 1/2 jalapeno ribs and seeds removed, diced small
- 1/2 medium red onion diced small
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
- 3 limes
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper or to taste
For the slaw
- 4 cups fresh red, green or Napa cabbage very thinly sliced
- 2 limes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the fish
- 4 Mahi Mahi fillets about 12 ounces, thawed if frozen
- 1 tablespoon avocado or vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or a sprinkle of homemade taco seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper or a sprinkle of homemade taco seasoning
- 4-6 street size corn tortillas
Make the avocado cream
In a medium bowl, mash the avocados until mostly smooth, but some chunks remain. Add the tomato, jalapeño, red onion, and cilantro and stir.
Juice the limes (if your limes are very juicy start with 2) into the avocado mixture and add the sour cream, salt and pepper and stir. Taste it and adjust the seasoning as needed or add more lime juice as needed. Place a layer of plastic wrap against the surface and place in the refrigerator until serving.
Make the fish
Preheat a grill or grill pan on medium high. Pat the fish dry well on both sides and brush with oil. Add the salt and pepper or taco seasoning if using and cook the fish until it flakes when a fork is inserted, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
In a dry skillet or over the burner of a gas stove, warm the tortillas until they start to get a little brown on them and are warm.
Flake the fish into pieces and assemble: add fish, avocado cream, and top with the cabbage slaw. Serve warm with street corn or black bean salad.
Calories: 305kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 131mg | Sodium: 624mg | Potassium: 996mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 650IU | Vitamin C: 53.3mg | Calcium: 118mg | Iron: 3.1mg