Traditional Seven Layer Salad
Every southern woman needs this classic in their recipes. It's always popular at potlucks, funerals and baby showers and the blend of vegetables with the tangy dressing will make it irresistible.
Servings 10 people
- 3/4 head iceberg lettuce outer leaves and core removed
- 1 cup frozen peas thawed
- 4 hard boiled eggs chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2 medium tomatoes diced bite size pieces
- 6 slices bacon cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise like Duke's or Hellmann's
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- salt and pepper for sprinkling
In a 3 1/2 quart glass bowl or trifle dish (make sure it's at least that large), chop the lettuce in to bite size pieces and add it to the bottom of the bowl in an even layer.
Add a pinch of salt and pepper over the lettuce.
Add the peas, eggs, onions, tomatoes, bacon and cheese, layering them closer to the edges of the bowl if you choose. Add another sprinkle of salt and pepper then set aside.
In a medium bowl, mix the mayonnaise, sour cream and sugar. Stir well and spread over the top of the salad "sealing" it all the way to the edge of the bowl. Sprinkle with a bit of cheese or bacon before serving, or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to two days.
Calories: 361kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 116mg | Sodium: 351mg | Potassium: 254mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 790IU | Vitamin C: 10.6mg | Calcium: 142mg | Iron: 1.2mg