Sausage and lentil soup
A light but hearty soup for any time of year, this sausage and lentil soup is simple to prepare (just chop and drop!) and is ready in just over an hour. Freezes great too!
Servings 12 people
- 1 pound Italian sausage turkey sausage also works
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup chopped celery
- 3/4 cup sliced carrots about the same size as the celery
- 1 small chopped zucchini
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes with the juice
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 1/2 cups dried brown lentils
- 1/4 cup fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- parmesan cheese optional
Heat a 5 quart or larger stock pot or cast iron dutch oven over medium high heat.
Remove any casings from your sausage if they are in links and add to the pan. Cook, breaking up the meat until no pink remains. About 7 minutes. Do not drain the fat.
Add all remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer covered for 1 hour or until the lentils soften. Serve warm with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
Calories: 282kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 15g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 32mg | Sodium: 661mg | Potassium: 669mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 1605IU | Vitamin C: 13.4mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 3.4mg