Homemade Caesar Salad
Homemade caesar salad only needs a whisk and a few simple ingredients plus this recipe has no raw egg yolks in it so you can feel confident serving it to anyone.
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise store bought, shelf stable mayo
- 1 tablespoon sour cream reduced fat is fine
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 clove fresh garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste or 1 fillet
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 6 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- 1 cup garlic croutons of your choice
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese try to get a good one
If using a bowl and whisk to blend your dressing, make sure to finely chop or mash your garlic and anchovy fillets so they will blend in smoothly. If you are using a food processor, you won't need to chop them first.
In a food processor, add all the ingredients except the olive oil. Process until very smooth--about 45 seconds or so. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the processor if needed.
With the food processor running, slowly add the olive oil until it's all incorporated. If using a bowl, whisk the dressing constantly and quickly while adding the olive oil. Taste to adjust seasoning if needed.
Transfer to an air-tight container or toss with chopped romaine lettuce, croutons and parmesan cheese. If storing, your dressing will last about 5 days. Discard any leftovers after that time.