Southern Chili Recipe
A good basic chili recipe is something every cook should have up their sleeve. Make this version your own with your family's favorite additions.
Servings 6 people
- 1 pound ground beef ground chuck works too
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 package chili seasoning mix of your choice
- 1 16 ounce can chili beans any spice level
- 2 14.5 ounce cans diced chili-ready tomatoes with the juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup dry pasta like spaghetti broken into short pieces
In a large pot, brown the ground beef with the onion until no pink remains in the meat. Drain as much of the grease as you can with a spoon.
To the pot, add the seasoning, tomatoes, beans and water and stir to combine. If it's still too thick, you can add 1/2 cup more water until you get to a thickness you like.
Bring the mixture to a boil and simmer 5 minutes.
Add the pasta, return to a simmer and stir occasionally until the pasta cooks through--8-11 minutes or so. Turn off the heat and serve warm or you can cool your chili to room temperature, refrigerate and reheat as needed.