Creamy Tomato Bisque
This smooth and soothing bisque is tomato soup's classier cousin and you'll love it!
Servings 6 people
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup celery diced
- 1 cup onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 cups chicken broth vegetable broth substitutes
- 28 ounces San Marzano whole tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons Basmati rice any rice that cooks in under 20 minutes works
- 3/4 cup heavy cream divided in to 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup
- 1 tablespoon honey sugar substitutes, but use 1 TEASPOON to start
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt add this slowly; taste as you go
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- fresh basil optional for garnish
In a 4 quart or larger pot, add the butter over medium heat and melt. Add the celery and onion and cook until soft; about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute.
Add the broth, tomatoes, paprika, red pepper flakes and rice. Simmer, partially covered until the vegetables are very soft and the rice is cooked: 20-25 minutes.
Puree soup with an immersion blender or traditional blender, being careful not to burn yourself.
Add the 1/2 cup cream, honey, salt (a little at at time) and pepper.
Transfer to serving bowls and drizzle each bowl with a bit of the remaining cream and sliced fresh basil if using.
Leftovers can be frozen or the bisque can be refrigerated for up to a week.
Calories: 219kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 51mg | Sodium: 1397mg | Potassium: 476mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 751IU | Vitamin C: 26mg | Calcium: 86mg | Iron: 2mg