Broccoli Cheddar Soup with Cheesy Toast
Broccoli cheddar soup is bursting with broccoli flavor and is so rich and creamy!
Servings 8 people
- 5 tablespoons butter salted or unsalted
- 3/4 cup carrots
- 3/4 cup celery sliced
- 1/2 cup onion diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup flour gluten free works
- 2 cups chicken stock homemade is best
- 2 cups half and half or 1 cup milk and 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups broccoli florets I tested with frozen
- 1 teaspoon sea salt divided in half
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg optional, fresh grated is best
- 8 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese don't use pre shredded
For sourdough croutons
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1" thick slices sourdough bread
- 3 tablespoons white cheddar cheese per slice
In a four quart stock pot melt 4 tablespoons of butter over medium heat and add the celery carrots and onions.
Saute 5 minutes until just beginning to soften. Add the garlic and saute one minute more until fragrant.
Add the flour starting to coat all the vegetables. Cook over medium heat one minute to dissolve the raw flour flavor.
Add the warm chicken stock and half cup water and bring to a simmer over medium low heat stirring often. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, then add the broccoli florets.
Continue to simmer on low until the vegetables are completely tender about another 5 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt (taste yours first)and a pinch of nutmeg if using.
Add the half and half and cheese and stir until melted.
Taste, and add another ½ teaspoon salt if needed. Serve warm with sourdough cheese croutons.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 340kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 81mg | Sodium: 706mg | Potassium: 324mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 2984IU | Vitamin C: 23mg | Calcium: 333mg | Iron: 1mg