Sometimes breakfast calls for more than a muffin or toaster pastry. Baked ham and egg cups are just right for making ahead and rewarming on busy mornings.
Maybe it’s because we’re farmers, but a bowl of Cinnamon Toast Crunch sure ain’t breakfast in this house.
If I set a bowl of cereal in front of my family they’d be sure my brain had been sucked out by the zombie apocalypse.
Loaded with sugar and not much else to sustain us, things like waffles, cereal and any kind of a toaster pastry are O-U-T here. Aside from their synthetics, colors and garbage–they simply do not fuel anyone for their day without a major blood sugar crash and burn about 10 a.m.
That’s why these grab and go ham and egg cups are perfect for us. I can make them ahead and quickly warm one or two in the microwave or oven for busy mornings. We also love sausage cheese balls for this, but when my husband (who lives on Weight Watchers) needs fewer carbs, these are just right.
Tips for the best baked ham and egg cups
- Feel free to use whatever ham you like. Something a little thicker–like what you might get in a package already sliced will hold together better here. I dare say a slice of country ham would be awesome as well.
- Add vegetables that your family enjoys. Fresh herbs would also be delicious in here. If you have pre-cooked vegetables left over from dinner the night before, like broccoli, or maybe peppers and onions, toss them in!
- This recipe calls for 8 eggs to make 12 full-size cups. That’s a little bit give or take so it wouldn’t hurt to have an extra egg laying around in case you run short.
- Use any cheese you enjoy. We like things spicy, so pepper jack or some ghost pepper cheese is amazing here…just go wild…because if you’re like me, you’re W-I-L-D. Like paint drying wild.
Baked Ham and Egg Cups
- 8 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup milk or half-and-half
- 1/4 cup finely chopped yellow onion or green onions
- 1/2 of a red or green bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 12 slices deli ham thinly sliced
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Spray muffin tin with cooking spray
- Line each muffin tin with one slice of ham, curling it to fit, and leaving some ham hanging out over the edges. It will shrink as it cooks.
- Add 1 tablespoon of cheese to each muffin tin (just eyeball it)
- In a medium bowl beat the eggs, milk, sour cream, salt, pepper, Old Bay, parsley and vegetables.
- Pour the egg mixture into each ham cup until it's about 3/4 full.
- Bake 25-30 minutes until eggs are puffed and just set. If the edges of your ham starts to get too dark, you can lightly cover them with some foil for the last half of the baking time.
- Serve warm or room temperature.